Advantages of using Ethernet over other connections interfaces.
- Makes the web interface of the Gemini-2 accessable. This can
only be accessed through the Ethernet port, using a web browser.
Almost all web browsers including ones in cell phones and tablets
- Use with wireless router to provide wireless control via
- Selection all of the targets in all the catalogs.
- Upload individual files to the SDcard, such as updates
to the main Processor, or updates to the hand controller.
Can also upload catalogs to the hand controller or main unit.
- See the status of all ports, battery, and power
- See how the servo
motors are preforming.
- Totally control the Gemini-2 with the Web
interface if you want.
- It provides for slewing to targets,
- Building a model,
- Moving the telescope,
- Setting almost all setting.
- Watching what the ports, and power levels are doing.
- Longer wire lengths than USB or serial without special made cables.
- Faster than USB or serial.
- Can be made wireless.
- Can use File Transfer Protocal (FTP( into the micro-SDcard
contants, to save models, PEC and other setting to a computer and restore them.
- Ethernet cable can be less expensive.
- Much more reliable.
- Less cables to the Gemini-2.
- Access the Gemini-2 from any computer on your network.
- Able to Update Firmware via an FTP connection, or the NEW Gemini
Firmware Updater Program.
- Can control the mount using the Gemini.net ASCOM driver.
- Mount Control
- Guiding through the same connection - called pulse guiding
- Provides some ground loop isolation
- Not restricted to short distant, as USB is.
- If a wireless adapter such as a Netgear WNCE2001 or D-Link
DAP-1350 AP is used then wireless Wifi connection to the mount.
Gemini 2 firmware can be updated using a built-in web interface. In order to use the web
interface, you will need to make a network connection between Gemini and your computer.
Note: the Ethernet Port on the Gemini-2 is a dual speed port
(10/100mbits). This means it is either 10Mbits per second or 100 Mbits per
second which is determined by the device you are connecting too.
Because of this, connecting to a computer or device that has the
same speed liminations can be problematic. Most devices that only
have this speed range cannot detect what wiring an Ethernet cable
has. So if you are trying to connect the Gemini-2 to a
computer/laptop, that only has a 10/100 Mbits connection, the
connection is more than likely to fail. To prevent this, It takes
either an auto detecting Ethernet port or a 3 speed port such as a
10/100/1000 Mhz port to detect what kind of cable is being used. Most
modern routers are now what is called Gibit Routers (10/100/1000)
speed or auto detecting and can detect the cable type. Many of the Newer Win10 laptops
are also. The Gemini-2 cannot determine
the cable type. But this only has to be done on
one end of the cable by one GBit Device, I.E. a Gibit Computer, Router or
Switch. If your Computer, Router, or Switch is not a Gibit
model or auto detecting, you might have to use what is called a
cross-over cable, to allow the Gemini-2 and computer to see each
Now we will discuss networking methods for devices to get each
others ID or IP address.
Using a router. This is called
Network with DHCP. I find this the easiest method.
The router can assign the Gemini-2 an IP address, as long as the
base subnet address of the router is in the
http://192.168.x.xxx range. If it is not, then you will have to
manually change the Gemini-2 IP address to match the routers
base Default Gateway address. Examples would be change
the gemini-2 Default Gateway address to http://192.168.0.1,
which it normally defaults to. Some routers such as
Netgear brands use http://192.168.1.1 for there Default Gateway
so you would put the Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1. With
these setting then the router can assign an empty DHCP IP
address to the Gemini-2. On any local network, no two devices
can have the same IP address. All devices on a network must have
it's own unique IP address. Also note that although the Hand controller can show the
IP address, the address shown is that of the main Gemini 2 unit. The hand controller does not have
it's own Ethernet connection or IP address.
- The Direct method. This
method uses a Ethernet cable directly between you computer and
the Gemini-2. If your computer has a 10/100 Mbit
Port, then you will have to use a Crossover cable. If your
computer has a 10/100/1000Mhz port then you can use either a
crossover or a standard patch cable. A 10/100/1000Mhz Switch or hub might also be
inserted into this method, and then standard patch cables can be
used. Note: A hub does not provide any method of changing IP addresses.
I would like to recommend a
USB to Gigabit Ethernet adapter instead of a cross-over cable if
your computer does not have a 10/100/1000 bit Ethernet port, and you
do not want to use an external hub.
This will give your computer two hardware Ethernet ports, assuming
your computer already has one.
- Here is a drawing of
these methods, the top 2 illustrations are the direct method and the
bottom is the Router method. Now if the router or switch is
10/100/1000 (Gigabit) then either type of cable can be used.
- To test where a connections is working use a web browser and
enter the web interface by using
http://192.168.0.111 or http://your gemini2's IP address,
into the address bar of the web browser. A login box will should
as shown here.
Here is a video showing the
process of accessing the